California Finally!

Horton Creek Campground - Bishop CA
I moved southward ahead of the WIN group arriving in Bishop at the end of September. The campground location was wonderful, about 10 miles out of town with magnificent views...
The first rainless Rainbow I've ever seen... created by the moisture in the clouds rolling  over the mountain peaks.




I went into Bishop after I got settled into the campground and got booked for a gig at Aaron Schat's Roadhouse Restaurant for Saturday night. A large group of WINs came to support me and to dance. This is a very dancing group! Over the 3 hours of singing songs, I performed a lot of my originals.


Tuttle Creek Campground - Lone Pine CA
The next day I headed to Tuttle Creek Campground... another amazing location with spectacular views of the mountains to the west and the valley to the east. Take a look at these first day photos:



The campground is way off in the distance at the base of the mountain range.







Photos of an old corral that I passed on the way to the campground...


Off in the distance standing 14,505 feet tall is Mt Whitney, the highest summit in the contiguous United States and the Sierra Nevadas.


Alabama Hills
I took a ride today out Movie Road through Alabama Hills, a formation of rounded rocks and eroded hills set between the jagged peaks of the Sierra Nevada and the geologically complex Inyo Mountains. Both geologic features were shaped by the same uplifting occurring 100 million years ago.











Fossil Falls Campground

Yikes! So close to Death Valley... the 30 mph wind... 40 to 50 mph gusts of hot dry air blowing through the long flowing locks of my blond wavy hair... WHAT? Who is THIS? Not very believable? DANG! It is pretty bleak out here with plenty of space and no one else around for miles. I LOVE IT!


Later today when/if the wind subsides a bit, I'm planning to walk to the Fossil Falls trailhead and the official BLM campground. Check it out... find some petroglyphs and get out there!

PETROGLYPHS!!! (Where are you?)Friday, October 11th, 2019I cycled all around the dry lake bed and everywhere I could having a blast on the hardened flat surfaces and then rode down to the Fossil Falls. I decided to hike around the area and see if I could locate any of the petroglyphs.




During the last ice age that ended around 12,000 years ago, large glaciers formed in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Meltwater from these glaciers created large lakes and rivers

The Owens Lake and Owens River formed in the Indian Wells Valley and cut a path through the Coso Volcanic Field to create what we now call Fossil Falls.

The flows from this glacier runoff polished the vesicular basalt into the smooth and twisting sculpture on display today.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Gigs & Getting Ready for the Next Journey

What Happen in September?